Pages

Monday 10 June 2013

That's all folks!

Well everyone, in the immortal words of Porky Pig, "Th-Th-Th-Thats all folks!".  Everything has to come to an end at some point and after 330 days, 5 countries, 4 continents and tens of thousands of miles on the road, we're now heading home.

In a weird way it's hard to believe that 11 months of travelling has gone so quickly and before we know it we'll be settled back into our "normal lives", but thats how it is.  It's been an incredible journey during which we've experienced plenty of highs and the occasional low, but I think I speak for both of us when I say that it's an experience neither of us will ever forget.  In many ways I think it has been harder than either of us expected, but at the same time, something that neither of us would have wanted to miss.

Although we've been on this trip together, in many ways it has also been a very personal experience that has had its own particular impact on us as individuals - maybe in ways that neither of us were expecting.  So it seems only right to say a few words as individuals:

Rob's thoughts:

"Well it's been quite a ride!  It's been exciting, entertaining, challenging, tiring, fun and plenty of other things over the last 11 months.  If you'd asked me last July how I thought I'd be feeling at the end of the trip, I'm pretty sure it would be different to the feeling I have now.  Back then I believed that I would be able to do this sort of travelling for as long as the money lasted, but turns out I couldn't.  It probably sounds really odd, but all of this travelling lark is actually quite hard work - now I know you probably won't believe me, but until you do it you really don't know.

I've also been surprised by how much I've missed "normality" and some of the more routine elements of your average day-to-day life.  Sounds mundane (and maybe a bit mad) but having some sort of order in your life really seems to work (well for me anyway) - that said I'm sure I'll still be looking forward to a holiday in a few months time!  Now I realise that all of that sounds a little negative, but it's not meant to be as it's just the reality of a trip like this.

Having said all of that I've had an amazing, memorable time and I have absolutely no regrets about doing it.  It sounds cliched, but I truly believe this is one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences and doing it now whilst we are both young (ish) and fit (ish) was definitely the right thing to do.  We've done so many great things during the trip that it's hard to single anything out, so I won't!  Suffice it to say that Iceland was incredible, most of the USA was awesome, Canada is just Canada (therefore great) and Australia had its highlights.  Without doubt though, the revelation of the whole trip for me was Japan - it is a truly astonishing place and probably the best country I have ever been to (praise indeed as that includes Canada).

So, would I do it again?  No probably not.  For me this amount of time away from home is a bit too much.  It's not that I was homesick in anyway, but I certainly missed having a place to live for a prolonged period of time and after a while it became progressively more and more difficult to get the energy to move on to the next place.  So if I did anything like this again, I reckon 3 months would be the right amount of time - maybe thats something to think about for retirement!!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to all of our family and friends that have supported us every step of the way along this journey.  Without your help (no, I'm not going to name you all as I'm sure you know who you are) there is no way we would have been able to achieve one of our life ambitions, so for that I will be forever grateful.  Thank you all.

Finally I have a few words for Lisa.  Congratulations for putting up with me for 11 months - it's not always easy when we're at home so when you're in each other pockets every hour of every day, it's even more of a challenge!!  Thank you for sharing this experience with me and making it so special - I hope you've enjoyed it as much as me :-)"

Lisa's thoughts:

"The good - oh, there is so much of it!  I have had so many moments where I have thought "wow, I love this" and the ones that stick out in my mind are:
  • Night snorkelling with Manta Rays in Hawaii
  • Walking right next to oozing molten lava on Hawaii's Big Island 
  • Camper van experience in Western Australia - so much freedom
  • The whole Japan experience - loved everything about this country
  • Tennis Open in Australia - I can so get into this sport
  • And many many more....
I am so lucky to have been able to do this, it has been something we have talked about doing for quite a few years and now it has been our reality.  I am so very grateful to our friends and family for their support which has helped us to achieve one of our ambitions so, thank you.

I have had so many great adventures and experiences that will last a lifetime and I have  so many wonderful memories to call upon as well as stories to tell.  I would be lying if I said everything was fab all of the time as there have been times when it's become very tiring - moving around all of the time does take its toll after a while and this sounds odd but sometimes it feels like you just need a day off from travelling.  It has made me realise that I couldn't do this all of the time but back in 2012 before we left I thought I could actually be a nomad!

I feel we have achieved everything we wanted to since we first set out (apart from South America).  It is amazing how different the travelling experience is compared to a regular holiday.  Having spent an extended period of time in certain countries it is strange how you start to see them in a different light and this happened to me in Australia and the USA.  I think the time is now right to start exploring new countries and I believe the incredible Japan experience has opened our eyes to this.

So, Rob and I have spent a huge amount of time together (well pretty much all of the last 11 months ) and I think it's only human that when you spend that much time with one person you are bound to have disagreements.  Fortunately, our disagreements have been really quite petty and the most important thing is we return home still being the best of friends. Thanks for being there and putting up with me when I have had 'my moments!'.

I am actually quite looking forward to going home and returning to something referred to as 'normal' - but not looking forward to all aspects of normality you understand! It will be great to see all our family and friends who I have genuinely missed and I am also rather excited about seeing our Henry cat.  Will he want to check out of his luxury hotel on Tuesday? I'm thinking not!  I am expecting tears and yep they will all be mine.

Finally, I have to just say that the most upsetting thing about the last 11 months was losing my lovely nan in October.  Even though she was 88 it is still a shock to lose someone you are close to.  I am just so glad that we made the decision to return home to say goodbye, this was definitely the right thing to do.  I miss her and it will be odd her not being there when I get back, but she will always be in my heart.

So, Tuesday we will be back in Ipswich!  I wonder how long it will be until I say - I wish I was still on holiday - I'm thinking not that long!"

So, that's it from us.  Thank you for reading about all of our trials and tribulations and we hope you've enjoyed following our trip (nearly) as much as we've enjoyed doing it.

Until next time… ;-)


Our yummy steak dinner on the last evening of our trip - cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment